The Full-Time Community Organizer role, which includes some evenings and weekends, will be responsible for building and developing Freedom Agenda’s membership base in NYC, primarily in the South Bronx, East Harlem, Lower East Side, Brownsville, East New York, BedfordStuyvesant, South Jamaica, and Stapleton communities. Freedom Agenda utilizes a model of building a membership base by organizing residents of directly impacted communities; in particular, formerly incarcerated New Yorkers. This position will focus primarily on securing the complete closure of Rikers Island & the Boat and will also work in collaboration with local and statewide advocacy partners on additional decarceration efforts. The Community Organizer will also support a variety of grassroots campaigns related to reducing the citywide jail population, improving conditions of confinement, and community reinvestment. The ability to navigate and travel in each of the five boroughs of New York City is required.
- Develop a regular canvassing schedule and deploy base-building strategies to increase the number of active members in the organization
- i.e., street canvassing, tabling, teach-ins or workshops at community-based organizations, phone-banking, and one-on-ones.
- Building and maintaining a contact list; including adding contacts to database.
- Support training members on community organizing & other advocacy related skills to promote structured leadership development through campaign activities.
- Consulting our base of formerly incarcerated members to identify priority issues and execute action planning.
- Support the planning, execution, & evaluation of events, direct-actions and lobby days.
- Manage and support interns and/or volunteers during actions/events.
- Identify public education and community engagement opportunities (I.e., Panel discussions, tabling events).
- Inform the development of outreach materials, factsheets, and online content.
- Other duties may be assigned by your supervisor to support all of the above.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Passion for and commitment to Freedom Agenda’s mission and values.
- 1 or more years of experience in community organizing or participating in advocacy campaigns, preferably in social and/or racial justice campaigns.
- Familiarity with and comfortability working in impacted communities like Brownsville, the South Bronx, and South Jamaica.
- Comfort facilitating meetings and/or trainings for groups.
- Basic computer skills (email, Google drive, contact list management, etc.) and willingness to learn new tech skills as needed.
- Some knowledge of the NYC criminal legal system, especially the jails on Rikers Island and the Boat.
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends, when scheduled.
- Fluency in multiple languages is a plus, including ASL
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- $45,000 – $55,000; based on experience.
- Freedom Agenda offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, & vision coverage, retirement plans, and paid vacation time.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Organizer” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. We will begin interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
ABOUT FREEDOM AGENDA:
Freedom Agenda is a member-led project dedicated to organizing people and communities directly impacted by incarceration to achieve decarceration and system transformation. You can learn more about our work through our website www.FA.urbanjustice.org, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Covid 19 Statement:
This role is in person grassroots field work in communities including canvassing, tabling, direct actions, and other in person events. Freedom Agenda at the Urban Justice Center is committed to the safety of our employees and we have safety protocols to protect our employees.